In the current scenario only a fraction of India’s population has any formal skill training. This is a major reason that various sectors are facing shortage of skilled people. The detrimental quality of work force leads to low productivity.
Skill development is the need of the hour for the nation. It is essential for the economic growth of the country. It’ll also be beneficial for youth who are looking for economic and livelihood opportunities. With proper skill development people can get good quality and better paying jobs. It will also be helpful for people aspiring for self employment. If the right skill development training is provided, India surely has the potential to become the skill provider for the world.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) the flagship outcome-based skill training scheme of the new Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE). It is a skill certification and reward scheme which aims to enable the youth of the country to be trained in various skills. The skill development training would open up new avenues of employment for them and a result the overall productivity will be increased. It will also bring about a paradigm shift from input-based to outcome-based skill training in the country.
The scheme also aims to escalate the skill development training activities in the country, so that a large number of people can avail the training at a fast pace without any compromise on the quality. Institutional arrangements comprising of the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), Sector Skill Councils (SSCs), Assessing agencies and Training Partners are working in full force to ensure the success of the scheme.
The main objective of the scheme is to provide finest skill development training to the youth and offer a monetary reward on the successful completion of the training. In addition, the other objectives of the scheme include –
- To encourage standardization in the certification process and creating a process of registry of skills
- Mobilize the large population of youth of the country to take up skill development for better jobs and livelihood
- To increase productivity and align the training as per the changing needs of the country
- To provide monetary rewards on the successful completion of the training. This would encourage more and more people to undergo training. The scheme aims to provide an incentive of an average 8000/- per candidate for undergoing skill training by authorized institutions
- RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) – Candidates with prior knowledge would be assessed and a reward of an average 2250/- would be given for undergoing assessments. This step will prove to be beneficial to recognize the skilled workers and also facilitate the process of skill up gradation and re-skilling of the existing workforce
With an average of 10 lakh fresh trainees and 14 lakh RPL candidates, the scheme benefit 24 lakh youth at an approximate total cost of Rs. 1,500 Crores. PMKVY covers 424 job roles in 24 different job sectors.
The scheme is applicable to candidates of Indian nationality who
- Undergoes skill development training in an eligible sector by an authorized training provider
- Avails the monetary reward for the first and only time during the execution of the scheme
- Is certified during the span of one year from the date of launch of the scheme by approved assessment agencies
- Fulfills any other criteria as defined by the Sector Skill Councils for respective job roles
How to avail the benefit of the scheme
- Candidates can enroll in any of the course from the list of registered courses in specified sectors
- Candidates can enroll with any of the approved Training providers.
- Candidates will be asked to provide their Aadhar number at the time of enrolling. In case the candidate does not have Aadhar, the trainee would facilitate the Aadhar for enrolment of the candidate
- On successful completion of training the candidate would be assessed by one of the Assessment agencies approved by the respective SSC
- On successful completion of training the candidate would be given secure certificate with a QR bar code by the Sector Skill Council
- The training providers will allow the candidate to undergo the training without payment of course fee. However, candidate will be required to pay minimum assessment fee, which would ensure the candidate’s interest in the completion of the training. In case where the candidate undertakes training on credit, candidate need to open an account in the bank suggested by Rooman & sign an auto debit form stating that the due training fee will be reimbursed by the candidate to Rooman upon receiving the reward money from NSDC
- Once the candidate meets all the eligibility criteria mentioned above, the monetary reward would be directly transferred to the candidate’s bank account
- Once the monetary reward is granted to the candidate on completion of training, he/she will not be eligible for any other monetary reward under the scheme